Search Engine Optimization has become an integral component for online businesses. The benefits of search engine optimization are boundless. Not only does it boosts traffic to your website but also helps you to expand your target market. SEO has become a lucrative trade for a lot of entrepreneurs. We have compiled some useful tips for newbie small business SEO enthusiasts who want to get started and learn the finer nuances of this highly profitable trade. Using these tips will help you generate better search results for your business and help you find more customers online.
- Adequate keyword research is a must – Before you get started, you need to spend some time in doing some research and plan your strategy accordingly. The first step would be to brainstorm and reflect on some of the possible search engine queries people may type while searching for your company online. After you’ve made a list of possible keywords, sign up for Google Adwords. Using this application will help you gain a better understanding of how keywords are used by real people. Now search for those keywords and analyze their frequency on the SERP’s (Search Engine Results Pages). This will also help you gauge your competition and how effective they are. Always be sure to index your business site with Google webmaster tools to enable the search engine spiders to crawl it more effectively.
- Don’t ignore Google Analytics – The next step would be to sign up with an SEO friendly tracking utility such as Google Analytics, Bing Webmaster Center etc. Signing up to these sites would provide you with useful statistics on your client websites visibility and internet traffic. Before you begin doing any SEO its best to allow Google Analytics to run for about two weeks. This will help you gather necessary data that could be incorporated into your ongoing SEO strategy.
- Optimize your HTML code and SEO tags – This is possibly the most crucial step in SEO. Ensure that you include the keyword in the title tag. This should be unique for each page. Also place keywords in H1 and in the text on each page. Including Meta descriptions on your website will entice users to click on your link in search engine results pages. The Meta descriptions should be eye-catching and include the relevant keywords for each page of your site. It is advisable to include your company’s contact details such as the address and phone number on each page. This data will enhance your company’s ranks on location specific search results.
- Back links and listings are necessary – You now want to add your website to some of the prominent search engine’s local listings such as Google Local, Yahoo Local etc. This is vital as most of your traffic would be through local search results. Also find third party websites that can generate organic back links to your website. Juicy Link Finder is an excellent place to find good quality back links.
- Monitor your work regularly– Finally add the finishing touches by taking screenshots of your company’s rank on SERP’s. You should also maintain a spreadsheet of your SERP rankings. This will help you keep track and monitor the rankings on a regular basis so you can continually improve your SEO strategy.
The field of Search Engine Optimization is a very competitive field and it is important to continue building links and recording your SERP results on a regular basis. This will give you an edge over your competitors and help you devise an effective long lasting SEO strategy for your clients.
While we are happy to provide these tips to small business owners, we highly recommend employing a capable SEO firm that can look after the many details of optimizing your site and building links. With new Google algorithm changes, it’s more important than ever that you not make any mistakes with your on page or off page optimization.